4. The Princess
Photo from Wikimedia Commons
The Princess, located on Thirty-ninth street, was among the smallest Broadway theaters when it opened in 1913. The outside of The Princess may have been reminiscent of a tall office building but the theater’s musical comedies from 1915 to the early ’20s were anything but boring. The inside of the building was a sharp contrast to the outside with its Georgian and French Renaissance styles, antique French tapestries, and neoclassical plasterwork.
The Princess was built for one-act dramatic plays, quickly developed into musical comedies, and then switched back to dramas in its final seven years before it was sold to The New York Assembly where it had its brief stint as the Assembly Theater before it closed within a year.
The Princess went through several different owners and functions. It was turned into a movie theater, a recreation center, a performance theater once more, and finally a movie theater again until it was torn down in 1955.