4. Austin, Nichols and Company Warehouse
Located on the Williamsburg, Brooklyn waterfront, Cass Gilbert’s Austin, Nichols and Company Warehouse was built by Turner Construction Company in 1914 for the largest grocery store at the time. Gilbert collaborated with engineer Gunvald Aus for this building as well, like he did for 90 West Street.
The building became a city landmark in 2005, just as the Williamsburg rezoning was approved. The Landmarks Preservation Commission called it “one of the largest and most significant structures on the Brooklyn waterfront.” The building is one of Gilbert’s more modest looking designs but taking up almost an acre. The building was considered a “Model of Modern Construction and Efficiency” and contained technological innovations like pneumatic tubes, conveyor belts, and freight elevators.