Here’s what the Untapped Cities staff is reading in the HQ today:
1. Strand Bookstore Celebrates 90 Years [Union Square Blog]: Any trip to New York isn’t complete without a trip to Union Square and New York City institution, Strand Bookstore. Over the years, Strand has been featured as a favorite by press by The New York Times, New Yorker, Gothamist, TimeOut New York and many more. Not only is it the largest indie bookstore in the city, it’s also the largest family-run bookstore in the country, owned across three generations of the Bass Family.
2. Albany Archives Update: Teddy Roosevelt’s Gargoyle [Spectrum News]: Late last year, my segment about the hidden Teddy Roosevelt gargoyle within the SUNY Administration Building aired on Time Warner Cable News. I was fortunate enough to talk with local architecture guru Bill Brandow on how a gargoyle with the likeness of one of the country’s most recognizable presidents ends up facing a dormer in Albany.
3. Tour NYC’s only lighthouse at Fort Washington Park this Saturday [6sqft]: If looking to learn more about historic New York City this weekend, head over to Fort Washington Park and check out the Little Red Lighthouse, the city’s only lighthouse. The city’s Urban Park Rangers are hosting a tour this Saturday, June 3, from 1 to 4 p.m. and will be on hand to provide information about this unique landmark (h/t Time Out).
4. Photos: Bronx Zoo To Open Zipline Across The Bronx River In June [Gothamist]: Visiting the Bronx Zoo will soon be more thrilling: The Wildlife Conservation Society will open two new attractions next month, one of which will give the public a chance to fly 400 feet across the Bronx River along a zipline suspended 50-feet above the water. The zoo’s plans were announced last December, and Sue Chin, the vice president of planning and design and chief architect at the WCS, said at the time, “It’s an amazing river in our city, but not everybody gets to see it.”
Today’s popular Untapped Cities reads:
- 21 Outdoor Art Installations Not to Miss in NYC in June 2017
- Win a Spot on Untapped Cities’ Special Access Tour Inside the New York State Pavilion
- NYC Film Locations for Billions on Showtime