An outdoor courtyard behind Deutsches Haus and other Washington Mews buildingsWith its beige facade, lined with red brick and decorated with a green double door and window shutters, the Deutsches Haus leaves a lot to the imagination. The building’s exterior immediately hints at a long and storied history: in fact, according to a timeline displayed inside the Haus, Washington Mews was originally part of Minto Farm, owned by noted sea captain Robert Richard Randall in the 18th century. (It was also a section of a Lenape trail that once connected the Hudson and East Rivers). In 1801, Randall bequeathed the land to Sailors’ Snug Harbor — the same organization that constructed Staten Island’s famous 83-acre cultural center — with the request that a home for the “elderly and destitute sailors” be built on the parcel upon his death. By the 1830s, however, the Mews were eventually laid out as an alley for horse stables and carriage houses that served townhouses facing Washington Square, and Randall’s home for sailors was ultimately constructed in Staten Island.
The main floor of the Deutsches Haus The upstairs floor of Deutsches Haus served as an art gallery