Here’s what the Untapped staff is reading in the HQ today:
- An Animated Movie Reimagines Nosferatu in Present-Day NYC [Hyperallergic]: Nearly one century later, Friedrich W. Murnau’s silent vampire movie Nosferatu continues to scare and inspire. Premiering this week, Andrea Mastrovito’s NYsferatu reimagines the 1922 film set in present-day New York City, whose monuments and landmarks are rendered into haunting, black-and-white rotoscope animations made from 35,000 drawings in collaboration with 12 artists.
- Part 4: Learning to live in a construction zone [Curbed NY]: Life under construction—or, at least, living in our future rental unit above what will be our apartment—comes with a thin layer of dust. The soundtrack is drilling and thwacking in the early morning and, by the end of the day, the whirr of the Shop-Vac. That’s when the pipe soldering doesn’t set off the smoke alarm.
- Photos: Trump Rat Appears In Midtown [Gothamist]: Hours before the president is scheduled to arrive in Midtown, a 15-foot inflatable “Trump Rat” has been erected two blocks from his Trump Tower residence. Reminiscent of the inflatable rats often placed outside New York City worksites accused of union-busting, the inflatable features Donald Trump’s likeness characterized with a long tail, buck teeth, a Russian flag lapel, and Confederate flag cufflinks. Erected shortly after 12:30 p.m. Monday, it immediately began drawing crowds of selfie-snapping tourists and office workers out for lunch.
- ‘They Didn’t Just Go Away’: Historian Talks About NYC’s 1939 Nazi Rally [Gothamist]: In the aftermath of this weekend’s chaotic, deadly Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, several commentators have identified the event as the largest gathering of American White Nationalists and neo-Nazis in decades. But as Jelani Cobb and others have pointed out, the event was “not the first time this country has witnessed the mass mobilization of Nazis.”
Today’s popular Untapped Cities reads:
- 16 Must-Visit Places in Woodside, Queens: An Untapped Cities Guide
- Abandoned Ironbound Football Stadium in Newark Gets New Life
- 12 Places in NYC to Experience the Upcoming Solar Eclipse