4. Saratoga Springs Air Force Station
Located south of Lake George in the town of Stillwater, the Saratoga Springs Air Force Station remains abandoned after it was utilized as a Cold War Air Force radar station from 1952-1977.
Originally named Schuylerville Air Force Station after a nearby town, the station was constructed in 1952 as an early warning radar site to defend the continental United States against enemy aerial attacks. The site remained active until its 656 Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was inactivated in 1977.
Many of the station’s buildings remain standing today, but they’ve been weathered heavily by the environment. A marker sits at the bottom of the hill in dedication to the men and women of the 656th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron who served there.