2. Riverside Civil War Cannons
The Riverside Civil War cannons are a part of the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument, located on 89th Street and Riverside Drive inside Riverside Park. South of the monument are three mounted bronze cannons, which were cast in 1865. There’s not much information on the cannons: a blogger that runs the New York City Civil War Monument Database notes that it’s difficult to know where they were placed or if they were even used. However, based on the shape of the gun and the year it was made, it’s probable that they are 8-inch Dahlgren naval guns, which were used extensively by the Union Navy during the Civil War.
The Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument itself was built in memoriam to the Union sailors and soldiers who fought in the Civil War. Completed in 1902 and designed by Arthur and Charles Stoughton, it stands at 96-feet high and is made of marble and granite.