2. The Estonian House
Image via OHNY: Magnus Heinmets
The Civic Club building, now the New York Estonian House, is located in Murray Hill on 243 East 34th Street between Second and Third Avenues. In the late 19th century, the three-story Beaux-Art edifice was built for the Civic Club, founded by social reformer Norton Goddard who wanted to combat gambling and reduce poverty.
Following his passing in 1905, the building was eventually sold to The New York Estonian Educational Society, Inc., which still owns the house. Today, it serves as a center for Estonian Culture, and is home to a number of Estonian organizations such as the New York Estonian School and Vaba Eesti Sõna, the largest Estonian-language newspaper in the United States.