3. Laurelton Hall
Laurelton Hall, the Louis Comfort Tiffany estate in Laurel Hollow near Oyster Bay, was built by Tiffany himself, son of Charles Lewis Tiffany, the founder of Tiffany & Co. The 84-room mansion was built on the site of the popular former resort, Hotel Laurelton. Completed in 1905, the estate was built inspired by the oriental style instead of the classic French chateaux and Italian palaces that dotted the island. It included the Chapel, installed in 1916 which he designed for the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition.
After Tiffany died in 1933, the mansion fell into financial trouble by 1946, whose contents were then auctioned off, the estate eventually being sold and sub-divided. It met a fate similar to Rosemary Farm, burning in 1957 though to a less severe degree before it was ultimately demolished. A significant amount of the 580 acre estate remains despite the fire and vandalizing it has been subjected to. In 2011, the Morse Museum exhibited a collection of objects from the original estate in the largest repository of its materials. Today, what remains of Laurelton Hall is abandoned and gutted.