6. Ferguson Castle
On East Shore Drive in Huntington Bay sits the remains of the Ferguson Castle (the Juliana Ferguson estate), which was built in 1911 and demolished in 1970. Modeled after the religious monasteries of Italy and Spain, the estate was comprised of forty‐rooms and a four‐story bell tower, originally called the “Monastery.”
After Juliana lost her battle to cancer, the house was occupied by several notable tenants, including Brooklyn attorney Charles D. Cords, who lived there for 30 years. Unfortunately, he could not afford to pay the taxes on the property. The mansion was demolished in 1970 after Suffolk Country decided it could not longer afford to maintain it. The only remaining piece of the castle which still stands is the old gate house. Today, a new residence exists on the estate.