Here’s what the Untapped Cities staff is reading in the HQ today:
- Sunshine Cinema, a Beloved Theater, Goes Dark [The New York Times]: Built over a century ago, the building on the Lower East Side of Manhattan was home to two churches, Yiddish vaudeville and movie classics.
- Warm Up With Some Vintage Brooklyn Fireplaces (Photos) [Brownstoner]: When the temperature drops, dream of roaring fireplaces with a virtual tour of interiors from Brooklyn’s past. The vintage images depict fireplaces from across the borough in states from wonderfully maintained to looking a bit rough and are sure to provide a bit of historic inspiration.
- New book highlights 111 unusual destinations in Queens [amNewYork]: Queens was an alluring mystery to Joseph DiStefano, whose early memories of the world’s borough included glimpses of the iconic Unisphere from his family’s car.
- Looking at Boris & Horton, opening soon on Avenue A [EV Grieve]: Signage is up over on Avenue A at 12th Street, where Boris & Horton is expected to open this month…
Today’s popular articles:
- 10 Historic Manhattan Hotels: The Carlyle, Pierre, Jane, Warwick, Algonquin, Waldorf Astoria and More
- 12 Quirky Coffee Shop Combinations in NYC
- See Photos of the 2018 Women’s March in NYC