James Monroe

New York City Marble Cemetery

New York City Marble Cemetery

In 1830, Monroe moved to New York to live  with his son-in-law, Samuel Gouverneur, after the death of his wife. When Monroe died in 1831, a funeral service was held for him at St. Paul’s Chapel and he was buried in the New York City Marble Cemetery, in a vault owned by Gouverneur.

In 1858, Virginia requested that Monroe’s body be repatriated. With the agreement of the Gouverneur family, Monroe’s body was disinterred on July 2, 1858 and moved to the Church of the Annunciation on 14th Street, before being moved by ship to Virginia. Monroe was was reburied in Richmond’s Hollywood Cemetery.