8. Mott Haven Library
Opened in 1905, the Mott Haven Branch of the New York Public Library is housed in a red Flemish brick and Indiana limestone structure that stands on the northwest corner of Alexander Avenue and East 140th Street. Today, it’s the oldest NYPLbranch in The Bronx, serving a diverse community through a variety of programming, including English classes, poetry and book readings, and concerts.
Declared a New York City landmark in 1969, the building was funded by Andrew Carnegie and designed by Babb, Cook & Willard in the Italian Renaissance Revival style. The same firm quite notably designed Carnegie’s own mansion on Fifth Avenue and 91st Street, which now houses the Cooper-Hewitt Museum. Also, read about 16 of the remaining Andrew Carnegie public libraries across the city.