2. Chester Court
Just south of Beekman Place is Chester Court, with a quaint grouping of Tudor-style row houses. Built by Peter J. Collins in 1911, after the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge and the expansion of transportation lines, the court attracted many of middle-class families looking to purchase a home on a quiet street with a strong sense of place.
In 2014, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission approved the establishment of the Chester Court Historic District. The commission praised the houses as “remarkably well-preserved, as they retain their original clay-tiled roofs, and many retain their historic wood doors and windows”. Along with the condition of the houses, the commission applauded the sense of community that had been forged in this “private enclave”.