2. Thomas Colt House
The Thomas Colt House was built in 1865 by the prosperous judge Thomas Colt, after he opened his prosperous mill in Coltsville two years earlier. In the early twentieth century, the building served as a Red Cross headquarters, before being converted into a school for girls, and later bought by Sr. of England Brothers to be used as a woman’s club.
Developer Beth Pearson, member of the Fritz Nominee Trust purchased the estate from the women’s Club of Pittsfield after 70 years. Then in 2012, Lisa Whitney, a New York City-based attorney who had been raised in the area, purchased the building to establish the culture and art center.