5. Harmonie Club, 4 East 60th Street
In 1852, after being denied admittance to the Union Club, a group of six German New Yorkers created their own social club. Originally named “Gesellschaft,” now known as the Harmonie Club, this society is the second oldest social club in New York City and is made up of men and women who are prominent leaders in the worlds of business and finance, law, science, medicine, arts, and all walks of life. Stanford White designed their second clubhouse which the club moved into in 1905.
The Beaux Arts structure designed by White once had a basement bowling alley and bedrooms on the upper floors that are no longer there. The club retains the original dining room designed by Stanford White, as well as other impressive Club facilities.