3. Century Association Clubhouse, 7 W. 43rd St
Stanford White designed the permanent clubhouse of the Century Association in 1889, three years after he was elected as a member to the club and forty-two years after the club was established. The Italian Renaissance structure is made of granite, terra-cotta and brick. The club has a striking front facade with a monumental arched entrance doorway underneath a Palladian window centered between four handsomely wreathed round windows.
The Century Association was established in 1847 to promote the advancement of art and literature. Its name is due to the fact that the membership was originally limited to one hundred people. The association moved around to different downtown rentals for decades until moving into the White designed clubhouse.