Join writer, editor, teacher, and tour guide Marie Carter for a walking tour of Manhattan’s Financial District based on her soon to be released novel Holly’s Hurricane. On this tour designed especially for Untapped Cities, you will cover hundreds of years of history in one hour while visiting various sites in Lower Manhattan. Along the way, you will hear excerpts from Carter’s new novel and have the chance to ask questions and discuss the topics raised with the author. You can join this free tour if you are an Untapped Cities Insider. Not an Insider yet? Become a member today and access free behind-the-scenes tours and events in New York City all year long!
- Stop at Fraunces Tavern and learn how Hurricane Sandy, working in the Woolworth Building, and listening to the Bowery Boys inspired “Holly’s Hurricane”
- Learn about the real-life effects of Hurricane Sandy on Lower Manhattan
- Discover the remnants of General Lovelace Tavern, a colonial structure
- See Federal Hall and hear excerpts from the novel
- Visit Bowling Green and Stone Street
- Find out how the history of the book’s setting in Boston, England intersects with histories of New York City
DATE: Friday, November 2nd from 4:00PM to 5:00PM
PRICE: FREE for Untapped Cities Insiders!
CAPACITY: 30 guests. Spots allocated on a first come, first served basis.
REGISTRATION: Friday, October 19th, at 12 PM EST
“Holly’s Hurricane” takes place in the year 2040, right after Hurricane Diana wreaks havoc on New York City. Holly Williams, an architect and immigrant from England flees to her home country where, while seeking refuge from the hurricane that has destroyed New York City to the point that is barely recognizable, she begins to have strange hallucinations in which a mysterious stranger guides her through some of the city’s forgotten and dramatic past.
Author Marie Carter, Photograph by Colin A. R. Pearce