5. Fordham was Originally called St. John’s College

Back when Fordham University was first founded in 1841 by Archbishop John Hughes, it was originally named St. John’s College. In 1846, St. John’s College was sold to the Jesuits and quickly gained university status. As a result, St. John’s College was renamed to Fordham University in 1907 since there was already another St. John’s College in Queens. Above, is a photo of the university church, which was absorbed into St. John’s College when the school was purchased by the Jesuits in 1859. Archbishop John Hughes’ intended St. John’s College to not only be a college, but a seminary as well.