The site of New York City’s Federal Hall has played an important role in America’s history since the country first came to be. This landmarked building that stands at the site where George Washington was sworn in as America’s first president, where the nation’s first Congress, Supreme Court, and Executive Branch offices were housed, and where innumerable decision were made that shaped the country. The structure that stands at the site today is a Custom House that was built in 1842 and is now a National Historic Site. If you are an Untapped Cities Insiders you can join Untapped Cities on a private ranger guided tour of the building on April 5th. Not an Insider yet? Become a member today to gain access to free behind-the-scenes tours and special events all year long!
TOUR HIGHLIGHTS (SUBJECT TO CHANGE):
- Learn about historic events in American history such as John Peter Zenger’s trial for libel and the birth of the freedom of the press, The Stamp Act Congress and the beginnings of the American Revolution and George Washington’s inauguration as the first president of the United States
- Hear how Federal Hall was used as the first capitol building, housing the Congressional, Supreme Court, and Executive Branch offices
- Take note of the building’s Greek Revival architectural style
- Learn about the Sub-Treasury and the federal banking system
- Discover how the site was transformed into a National Memorial
DATE: Friday, April 5th, 3:00PM – 3:45PM The tour will last approx. 30 minutes
PRICE: FREE for Untapped Cities Insiders!
CAPACITY: 30 guests. Spots allocated on a first come, first served basis.
REGISTRATION: Opens Friday, March 22nd at 12:00PM EST
WHAT TO KNOW:
- No food, beverages (except water), or chewing gum may be consumed in the museum and there are no eating facilities
- Historic artifacts in the museum are quite old and fragile. Therefore, no one may touch them and no one may sit or lean on the historic furniture or architectural features.
- Members of each tour group must all stay together as a group. It is not permitted for individuals to wander off to other rooms or areas. The directions of the Park Ranger must be followed.