6. Delmonico’s at 56 Beaver St, Manhattan
Dubbed New York City’s “first restaurant,” since before it opened in 1837 the city only offered small cafes and inns, Delmonico’s has a special place in the foodie world of New York – it was a place to be seen, to entertain, to meet (The Players club was founded here, with Mark Twain present). Though owners have changed many times over its 180-year tenure, the location and name has remained the same.
According to Gothamist, it was originally three floors—built to the Delmonico brothers’ liking—but in 1890 was rebuilt to be eight stories high. The pillars in front of the main entrance are reportedly from Pompeii.