10. The Flatbush Reformed Dutch Church, 1793-1798
The Flatbush Reformed Protest Dutch Church, or Flatbush Reformed Church, was built from 1793 to 1798 and is even mentioned in one of H. P. Lovecraft’s stories, its cemetery described as an “iron-railed yard of Netherlandish gravestones”. The structure seen today is actually the third church built on the site. The first one was erected in 1654 and was the first church in Flatbush, awarding The Flatbush Reformed Church with the title of longest continuous use for religious purposes in the city.
The building, made with Manhattan schist, has elements of the early American Georgian style, including a white octagonal spire and stone belfry adorned with Tuscan colonettes. The church also features Tiffany glass windows, installed in 1889 to commemorate the descendants of early Flatbush settlers, and many of the church’s cemetery gravestones bear the names of prominent Flatbush families.
The Flatbush Reformed Protest Dutch Church is located at 890 Flatbush Ave, Brooklyn.