Join Untapped Cities Insiders on a special visit to the Berg Room inside the New York Public Library’s Stephen A. Schwarzman Building, to see rare documents and artifacts from famous writers like Emily Dickinson, Jack Kerouac, William Shakespeare and more. This exciting event, which takes place April 29th, will be the first in a series of exclusive experiences, to take place throughout the year, crafted by Untapped Cities and and our partners at the New York Public Library. You can join this free event if you are an Untapped Cities Insider. Not an Insider yet? Become a member today to gain access to free behind-the-scenes tours and special New York City events all year long!
The Berg Room, Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Blanc / NYPL
After viewing historical items from the library’s collection inside the Berg Room (a space usually reserved only for researchers), guests will have the opportunity to walk atop the catwalk inside the Rose Reading Room for a stunning view of the space, and get to see the book train in action. At the end of the tour guests are encouraged to sign up for their very own library card which unlocks access to all of the library’s amazing resources.
Some of the rare items you will see on this visit include:
- Mr. William Shakespeare’s Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies (London: Printed by Isaac Jaggard and Edward Blount, 1623) (This is the First Folio.)
- Emily Dickinson letters, poems, and books
- T. S. Eliot, The Waste Land, original typescript poem with revisions by Eliot and Ezra Pound
- Selections from the Virginia Woolf papers including diaries, manuscripts, and correspondence with her lover Vita Sackville-West, as well as her walking stick)
- Selections from the Jack Kerouac papers, including diaries and drafts, as well as personal objects like his draft card and Buddhist prayer bells
DATE: Monday, April 29th, 2019, 12:00PM-1:30PM
PRICE: FREE for Untapped Cities Insiders!
CAPACITY: 20 guests. Spots allocated on a first come, first served basis.
REGISTRATION: Opens Monday, April 15th at 12:00PM EST
Photo by Jonathan Blanc/NYPL
Future experiences in Untapped Cities Insider’s partnership with the New York Public Library will include curator-led visits to new exhibits at the The Library for the Performing Arts and Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, and behind-the-scenes tours of library facilities that are off-limits to the public.
Stay tuned for more details on our exciting NYPL series and check out our full lists of upcoming Insider events here!