2. The Vander Ende-Onderdonk House, 1661
Built just seven years after the Lent Homestead, The Vander Ende-Onderdonk House is the oldest Dutch Colonial stone house in New York City. Located in Ridgewood, on the border of Queens and Brooklyn, the house has architectural features traditional to the period, including a wooden-shingle gambrel roof, Dutch doors, brick chimneys, a central hallway and double hung windows.
The original house was built in 1661 by Hendrick Barents Smidt, but the house on site today was built in 1709 by Paulus Vander Ende. The building was once used as a marker in the 1769 survey and settlement dispute over the boundary between the Kings and Queens counties, and a boulder on the site, called Arbitration Rock, was actually used throughout the 19th century as the formal marker delineating the border between Brooklyn and Queens (though it was moved from the location in which it was originally found).
The Vander Ende-Onderdonk House is now a museum open to the public, exhibiting archeological items from the site itself.
The Vander Ende-Onderdonk House is located in 1820 Flushing Avenue, Ridgewood