5. The Cornelius Van Wyck House, 1735
Facing Little Neck Bay on Long Island, the Cornelius Van Wyck House in Douglaston is an example of eighteenth century Dutch Colonial, with its saltbox roof and hand-hewn shingles. The living room is decorated with Georgian mantelpieces, and the house itself is surrounded by a landscaped property which includes a garden that leads down to the beach.
Cornelius Van Wyck, who built the original three-room structure in 1735, was a third generation Dutch American, and the house has been expanded several times since its construction. During the Revolutionary War, the Wyck House became a headquarter for the northern branch of the Continental Army, and the home was visited by renown officers like George Washington, Marquis de Lafayette and Alexander Hamilton.
The Cornelius Van Wyck House is located in 126 West Drive, Douglaston