8. The Kingsland Homestead, 1774-1785
Located in Murray Hill, the Kingsland Homestead is another example of a typical 18th century farmhouse, built in the style of the “Long Island half-house,” which was once common in the area. Completed by the wealthy Quaker Charles Doughty in 1785, the Kingsland Homestead is two and a half stories, and characterized by its wide side hall and one-sided double parlors, as well as traditional Dutch-English features such as divided entry doors, a central chimney, round-headed quadrant windows and a gambrel roof.
The farmhouse has been moved two different times since its creation and now lies in, where the first weeping beech tree in America was planted in 1847. The homestead, called “Kingsland” because of its second owner and Doughty’s son-in-law, the British sea captain Joseph King, now operates as the headquarters for the Queens Historical Society and is open as a museum, with exhibitions on the borough’s local history and outreach programs.
The Kingsland Homestead is located in 143-35 37th Avenue, Flushing