7. Stephen A. Schwarzman Building New York Public Library (1895)
The Stephen A. Schwarzman Building, often referred to as the “main branch” of the New York Public Libraries, was constructed in 1895. The first collection was formed through the consolidation of both the Astor and Lenox Libraries, and has since then evolved into one of the most comprehensive library collections across all occupations. Today, the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building hosts up to 15 million items including everything from medieval manuscripts to the latest novels. The library officially opened to the public in May 24, 1911 and was actually dedicated to the then-current President William Howard Taft the day prior. The building did not receive its current name until 2008 when Stephen A. Schwarzman donated $100 million dollars to the expansion of the New York Public Library.
Recently, Untapped Cities Insiders were treated to a special look into the New York Public Library’s collections and had chance to view the Rose Reading Room from atop the employee-only catwalk! Learn how you can join an upcoming tour here!