5. Philipse Manor Hall State Historic Site
Construction on Philipse Manor Hall began in 1682 by Frederick Philipse, Stephanus Van Cortlandst’s son-in-law. The Philipse family remained on the estate through the Revolutionary War. Philipse was a loyalist, who along with two hundred other colonial New Yorkers signed a “Declaration of Dependence” supporting Kings George III. As a result he was placed under arrest. He eventually fled back to England.
In 1868, the manor house became the Yonkers Village Hall and in 1872, the first City Hall for Yonkers. Today, Philipse Manor Hall serves “as a museum of history, art and architecture, as well as host to community organizations, meetings, educational programs and special events.”