4. Washington’s Headquarters State Historic Site
Washington’s Headquarters State Historic Site was the first publicly owned historic site in the country. The house was constructed in 1750 by Jonathan Hasbrouck. During the Revolutionary War, the house served as George Washington’s headquarters.
During the time Washington was stationed there, he rejected the idea of being crowned king, defeated the Newburgh conspiracy, thereby preventing a coup d’etat, and created the Badge of Military Merit, which would ultimately become the Purple Heart. In 1890, a Tower of Victory was built on the property overlooking the Hudson River to commemorate the centennial of Washington’s stay at the house.