9. Coenties Slip
In the early Dutch days of New Amsterdam, Conraet Ten Eyck and his wife, Antje, owned the land surrounding Coenties Slip (and Coenties Alley). Coenties (originally spelled Coentje) is a diminutive contraction of the names “Conraet” and “Antje”––in other words, it is a ship name! (Although this type of “ship name” bears no relationship to boats, the double meaning works well, considering the maritime history of the slip.)
For many years, Coenties Slip was an inlet in the East River where ships were tied up and unloaded. Coenties used to be one of the largest of the twelve slips that used to be in New York City. Filled in 1835, it was the last to be paved over. Today, the former slip (now a couple blocks inland) is a public park and pedestrian walkway with outdoor seating and a nice view of the water.
Want to learn more about New York City’s seafaring past? Join our upcoming tour of NYC’s Maritime History!