6. Fort Greene Park (1839)
Located in Fort Greene, Brooklyn, this park was named originally after the fort which was located there, Fort Putnam. It was later renamed Fort Greene during the War of 1812 after Revolutionary War hero Nathaniel Greene. The land was acquired by the city for public use in 1839. The park includes part of the high ground where the Continental Army built fortifications during the early days of the Revolutionary War. The park also features Prison Ship Martyrs’ Monument, a monument honoring the 11,500 American prisoners who were kept on British ships and died from disease and malnutrition during the war. (Get a glimpse inside the normally-closed monument here)
Today, Fort Greene Park is host to several community events, including an annual Summer Literary Festival and a summer concert series. The Greene Glass Project, started in 2010, hosts annual cleanups in the summer as well.