10. Titanic Memorial Lighthouse
The Titanic Memorial Lighthouse is one of the many maritime memorials you can find scattered throughout New York City and also one of the many remnants of the Titanic’s ill-fated voyage. The 60-foot tall Titanic Memorial Lighthouse and Time Ball was dedicated to the victims of the tragedy and mounted to the top of the Seamen’s Church Institute at 25 Water Street in 1913. Everyday at noon from the time of its installation until 1967 the Titanic time ball received a telegraphic signal from the Naval Observatory in Washington D.C and dropped halfway down the pole to indicate that the time was 12pm. Every evening the lighthouse shone a bright green light.
In July 1968, when the Seamen’s Church Institute moved to 15 State Street, the Titanic Memorial Lighthouse was donated to the South Street Seaport Museum by the Kaiser-Nelson Steel & Salvage Corporation. It was placed at the entrance to the museum complex, on the corner of Fulton and Pearl Streets, in May 1976, and is still there today.