Untapped New York is partnering with The Neustadt Collection of Tiffany Glass and invites you to join an exceptional experience: a behind-the-scenes tour of the Tiffany Glass Archives, the world’s largest collection of Tiffany Glass ever assembled. On this unique experience you will:
- Explore the collection made of a quarter of a million examples of Tiffany’s remarkable glass
- Discover examples of nearly every color and technique employed in Tiffany designs
- See the collection come to life with dazzling lighting demonstrations and an up-close look at the stunning glass pieces
- Discover the secrets behind Tiffany’s groundbreaking innovations in glassmaking and his revolutionary contributions to the art of stained glass
- Learn about Dr. Egon Neustadt and his wife Hildegard and how they started their Tiffany collection in 1935
These archives remain largely unseen by the public, tucked behind an unmarked warehouse in Long Island City. After a successful Untapped New York Insiders tour we held there last month, we are now announcing this tour for the general public to join.
Stored in towering rows of shelves, more than a quarter of a million pieces of brilliant pieces of flat glass sheets and shards, along with beguiling glass “jewels,” fill the archive. These pieces were salvaged from the Tiffany Studios in Corona, Queens when it shut down in 1937. They were acquired by a Dr. Egon Neustadt, a Tiffany collector, in 1967. While pieces of Neustadt’s collection are on display in the Queens Museum, the New-York Historical Society and in traveling exhibitions, the Glass Archives are only occasionally open to the public. This behind-the-scenes tour is limited to 6 guests only and will happen on Friday December 13th from 4pm to 5pm. More dates will be announced shortly for 2020.
More Photos from the Tour: