See how a Steinway piano is created on an in-depth tour of the Steinway Factory in Astoria, Queens on January 22nd, and gain exclusive access to the secret piano vault, a space that only four people in the company have access to. On this factory tour led by Anthony Gilroy, the Senior Director of Marketing at Steinway & Sons, Insiders will witness the process of how Steinways are handcrafted, from the selection of raw wood to their final tuning.
The factory is located where the original Steinway compound was established in the late 1800s. The Queens location is one of two worldwide, the other is in Hamburg, Germany. In addition to the factory tour, Untapped New York Insiders will get to go inside the hidden piano vault where some of the finest pianos are on display in custom-designed displays.
The Vault can only be unlocked using a biometric fingerprint scanner which only recognizes the fingerprints of four people in the entire company. All of the pianos in The Vault retail for at least $200,000. The pianos on display include a limited edition piano emblazoned with artwork by John Lennon and a Lang Lang Black Diamond Limited Edition piano that is signed by the pianist.
If you aren’t a member of Untapped New York Insiders yet, join today and register for this event on January 15th at noon!
THINGS TO KNOW:
- The factory is large and the tour covers a significant area. You must be able to stand and walk for one and a half to two hours. The tour includes 3-4 flights of stairs.
- Children under the age of 16 are not permitted on the Factory tour.
- There is neither seating nor rest areas available, and there are no restrooms available on the shop floor.
- Open shoes, sandals, flip flops, etc. are not permitted on the tour.
- Canes, walkers and wheelchairs are not permitted on the tour.
- Individuals with pacemakers or similar devices will not be allowed on the tour. (Factory equipment may interfere with the device.)
- Note that tour participants will be exposed to dust and chemical odors.
- Visitor parking is extremely limited near the factory. Street parking is an option, though it may be limited, too. The factory is about a 15-20 minute walk from the Ditmars N/Q line (the factory is a little over a mile from the subway).
- If visitor parking is full, there is a public parking garage, open 24/7. The garage entrance is located on Steinway Street off the corner of 20th Avenue (between 20th Avenue and 19th Avenue). Applicable fees apply.
- Photography is not permitted.
Steinway Factory Tour with Exclusive Access to the Secret Piano Vault