3. The Remains of NYC’s Most Controversial Statue

Fountain of Civic Virtue

Long before the project to add more female figures in New York City’s sculptural works or to remove sculptures of those connected with less savory parts of history, the Civic Virtue Triumphant Over Rightousness statue may have been the city’s most controversial. The allegorical piece was commissioned in 1909 and installed in 1922 and installed in Manhattan’s City Hall Park, as part of a fountain. The statue is 22 tons of marble carved from a single block, meant to represent the triumph of virtue over corruption and vice.

Triumph of Civic Virtue statue in Green-Wood CemeteryCivic Virtue in its newest home

The problem: the nearly naked male figure is triumph, towering and dominating over the two female mermaids who represented corruption and vice. Women found this misogynist and offensive, and even men thought it looked like the virtue was kicking or trampling the female figures. By 1929, James J. Walker, the Commissioner of Public Works was calling the sculpture “the Fat Boy standing in a mass of worms,” and advocated for its removal. The statue was finally moved in 1941 to Queens Borough Hall. It was not well-liked in Queens either, with Anthony Weiner even suggesting to sell the statue on Craigslist.

In 2011, Green-Wood Cemetery President Richard J. Moylan offered to give the statue a home in the cemetery. By early 2013, Civic Virtue was placed among other statues by sculptors contemporary to MacMonnies, like Daniel Chester French and John Quincy Adams Award. The cemetery even funded its renovation. After 90 years, Civic Virtue seems to have found its resting place. The fountain portion remains, however, along Queens Boulevard.

View all on one page

2 thoughts on “10 Surprising Places to Discover Along Queens Boulevard

  1. wondering ….was Pete’s formerly the Boulevard Diner? If so my dad worked there for a while in the 70’s

  2. The car pictured is not from the 1950s. A very small number of Redbird cars – less than 5% of the over 1,500 cars produced – were built in 1959. That does not categorize this as a “1950s car”, as the other 95% of the cars were built in the 1960s. This specific car, #9075, is an R33, part of a married pair built by St. Louis Car Company in 1962-1963.

Comments are closed.