12. The Hospital of St. Elizabeth of Hungary
The Hospital of St. Elizabeth of Hungary moved into a new building at Fort Washington Avenue and W. 190th Street in 1928. It was a six-story general hospital with 110 beds designed by architect James F. Delany in a Romanesque style likely inspired by the original Cloisters museum, then located across the street. Operated by Franciscan nuns for most of its history, St. Elizabeth’s closed in 1981. It was sold at auction in 1983 and converted into a co-op apartment house in 1985.
Next, check out NYC’s former quarantine hospitals and islands.