21. New York Amsterdam News Building (1916)
The townhouse at 2293 Adam Clayton Powell Jr Boulevard was the headquarters of the New York Amsterdam News, a weekly African-American newspaper, from 1916 to 1938. The old publishing building on Seventh Avenue in Harlem was built out of brownstone in the Greek Revival style, and it was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1976 due to the newspaper’s coverage of major African-American feats as well as issues. It has just recently received its National Historic Landmark Plaque and the building owner allowed us to take a photograph right out of the box.
The Amsterdam News was founded in 1909 and takes its name from its original location one block east of Amsterdam Avenue. James Henry Anderson founded the paper with just a $10 investment, and at the time it was one of only a handful of black-owned newspapers in the United States. The paper originally sold for just 2 cents out of Anderson’s home, yet it was eventually sold to the Powell Savory Corporation, which helped the paper write about both local and national news. The newspaper published the writings of W.E.B. DuBois and Adam Clayton Powell, Jr., and it was one of the first publications to publish Malcolm X. Today, the paper is edited by Elinor Tatum, daughter of previous Editor-in-Chief Wilbert Tatum.