8. Three Village Historical Society House & Thompson House
The Three Village Historical Society was founded in 1964, mainly serving the areas of Setauket, East Setauket, Stony Brook, Poquott, Head of the Harbor, and Old Field. The Historical Society is located on North Country Road in a two-story farmhouse dating to around 1800, featuring a central chimney and gable. The headquarters, referred to as the Bayles-Swezey House, was donated to the Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities before being purchased by the Historical Society. In addition to in-person exhibitions on local history (closed for the next few weeks), the Historical Society also features virtual programming like a Virtual Spies! Tour, a version of their Tri-Spy Tour that passes by historic sites of the Culper Ring.
The Thompson House
Adjacent to the Bayles-Swezey House is the Thompson House, constructed around 1709 as a saltbox farmhouse. The home is named for physician and Patriot Doctor Thompson, who treated many local residents including many members of the Culper Ring. The two-story timber frame building features an asymmetrical gable roof, and it was added to the NRHP in 1988.