4. Drowned Meadow House
The Drowned Meadow House, previously known as the Roe House, is a small museum highlighting the history of Port Jefferson Village and its importance in the Revolution War. Port Jefferson was previously known as Drowned Meadow since the downtown area was “drowned” by the tide twice a day. The home dates back to 1755 and is an example of “post and beam” construction common during the Revolutionary War. The fragile home survived being moved from four separate locations since its construction, last relocated to West Broadway and restored between 2000 and 2010.
The home was built for Phillip Roe, who supposedly was a member of the Culper Spy Ring along with brothers Nathaniel and Austin, the latter of whom owned a notable tavern in East Setauket. The inside of the home includes a depiction of the Culper Spy Ring trail and an illustration of the first five homes in Drowned Meadow. Also of note is a copy of a letter written by George Washington thanking the spy ring for their efforts in thwarting the British during the Revolutionary War.