2. Cadman Plaza Post Office
The Federal Building and Post Office is a historic post office, courthouse, and Federal office building in Brooklyn that originally housed the Brooklyn General Post Office. The building is located at Cadman Plaza and was designed in the Romanesque Revival style beginning in 1885. Mifflin E. Bell, supervising architect of the U.S. Treasury Department, designed the building with iron roof cresting, steeply pitched roofs, and rounded arches.
The building is known for its interior atrium, enclosed by a loggia, as well as its square tower. The building’s postal floor had to cover its skylight and laylight to comply with black-out laws during World War II. The post office was named a New York City Landmark in 1966 and was added to the National Register for Historic Places in 1974.