Standing at 29 East Fourth Street in Manhattan’s historic NoHo neighborhood, the Merchant’s House Museum provides a glimpse into life in New York City during the 19th-century. With impeccably preserved period rooms and storied history, the Greek Revival building is both an architectural and historical treasure. Opened to the public in 1936, the Merchant’s House has been a museum for nearly as long as it was a residence. It celebrates a milestone 85th anniversary this year! Below, we’ve worked with the Merchant’s House Museum to compile some of the most interesting and surprising secrets of the home.
1. The Same Family Lived in the House for Nearly 100 Years
The Merchant’s House was originally built for Joseph Brewster in 1832, though he lived there for only three years. In 1835, the home was purchased by Seabury Tredwell, a wealthy hardware merchant. After thirty-two years in the hardware trade, Tredwell retired and settled into 29 East Fourth Street with his wife and seven children.
The Tredwells would occupy the home for nearly 100 years, until 1933. The last Tredwell to live in the home was Seabury’s eighth child and youngest daughter, Gertrude. She was born in the home in 1840 and died in the upstairs front bedroom at the age of 93.