8. Part of the Old Fulton Fish Market Has Been Rebuilt
The Fulton Fish Market has had a presence at the seaport since 1822. It was and still is one of the largest wholesale fish markets in the country, though it isn’t located in the South Street Seaport anymore. In 2005, the market relocated to Hunt’s Point in the Bronx. Before the move north, the market was housed inside the 1907 Tin Building and the 1939 New Market Building. Sadly, after a failed campaign to landmark the New Market Building, it was slated for demolition in 2018. The Tin Building, on the other hand, which is a New York City landmark, has been reconstructed.
This is the second resurrection of the Tin Building, as it was rebuilt before, in 1995 after a fire. In 2016, the Landmarks Preservation Commission approved plans to relocate the building, moving it thirty-three feet away from its original spot. Hamilton Grange, the former home of founding father Alexander Hamilton, is the only other building the Landmarks Preservation Commission has allowed to be moved. Ninety-two pieces of the original structure, which was made of wood and corrugated sheet metal, were used in the SHoP Architects-designed replica, which is made of mostly new materials. The building will also be raised six feet to prevent it from flooding. The Tin Building now houses an upscale food market and restaurants curated by Jean-Gorges