3. Boulevard Theatre
Located a block north of Spooner Theatre, the Boulevard Theatre on Southern Boulevard was opened in 1913 by Marcus Loew, the founder of the Loew’s chain which merged with AMC Theatres in 2006. According to a 1913 New York Tribune article, Loew’s Boulevard featured both “vaudeville and moving pictures.”
The 1913 Tribune article noted that the Boulevard Theatre was “tastefully decorated.” This is not surprising considering that it was designed by Thomas Lamb, a celebrated theater architect (more about him later). A sense of that elegance remains; the Boulevard’s facade has been well preserved and undergone restoration in recent years .