6. Raymond Theatre
Around the time the old City Island Theatre closed in the 1920s it was replaced by a new movie house, the Raymond Theatre, which operated until 1958. Just a half-block from its predecessor, the new 600-seater was designed by Douglas P. Hall, an architect responsible for several other theaters.
The building reopened in 1960 as the City Island Playhouse, a live event venue, later adopting the name of its forerunner, City Island Theatre. It returned to showing movies in the early 1970s but sometime between then and the 1990s the final curtain came down and it was transformed into a food market, which remains the site’s current use. Yet another old Bronx theater hiding in plain sight.