7. Fox Crotona
The 2,500-seat Fox Crotona Theatre, located at East Tremont and Park Avenues, opened in 1912 during the silent film era. It was built by film executive William Fox and designed by the aforementioned Thomas Lamb, who also created Fox’s Audubon Theater in Washington Heights and the original Empire Theatre that much later was incorporated into the AMC Empire 25 in Times Square.
Like many silent film era venues, the Fox Crotona featured both an in-house orchestra and an organ. It also hosted vaudeville variety shows and other events such as concerts that were broadcast on radio station WMCA.
According to the Cinema Treasures website (a helpful resource on historic theaters), in later years the Crotona Theatre was operated by the Skouras Theater Corporation and it closed in the late 1950s. Today, the Crotona Theatre lobby on East Tremont Avenue is occupied by an appliance and furniture business.