7. Historic Main Street
Huntington’s Main Street is a mix of old and new, with some century-old buildings as well as newer projects. At the corner of Main Street and New York Avenue are the remains of a brick house built by Hiram Baylis, who operated a major store in the area in the late 1800s. A fire along Main Street in 1888 destroyed a significant number of buildings, and the Brush brothers built a still-standing structure along Main Street. The O.S. Sammis Building was built in 1884 at the northwest corner of Main Street and New York Avenue, where from 1885 to 1905, Jephtha Masonic Lodge met on the third floor.
At 307 Main Street is the Romano building that was built in 1909, and scattered along Main Street are other century-old buildings that housed successful tenants in the early 1900s, some of whom were annoyed by an annual bobsled race held on Main Street. Additionally, a plaque commemorates a 1913 women’s suffrage rally led by activists Rosalie Jones and Edna Buckman Kearns at Main and Wall Streets.
Today, Main Street is the center of Huntington’s downtown. Some notable businesses include Little Switzerland Dolls, Rumpelstiltskin Yarns, Birkenstock Depot, and Lacrosse Unlimited. Highly rated restaurants along Main Street include Ravagh Persian Grill, Hatch, IMC Restaurant & Bar, and Munday’s.