8. Old Town Green Historic District
The Old Town Green Historic District, which includes the Old Burying Ground, consists of 14 contributing buildings and the Huntington town green. A rock in the town green signifies the spot where a blockhouse stood for “protection from the Indians” and where early town meetings were held. The district is located at Park Avenue and contains the Constitution Oak, which was dedicated on the 200th anniversary of New York’s ratification of the US Constitution on July 26, 1788. President Washington dined at Platt’s Tavern, which does not stand today, on April 23, 1790.
Located in the district is the Charles Woodhull House on 70 West Main Street, built in 1870 as a 2.5-story residence with a low gable roof and brick foundation. The district also houses the Dr. Daniel Kissam House Museum, first occupied by a namesake physician from Oyster Bay. Also on Park Avenue (but not necessarily in the historic district) is the Bethel AME Church and Manse, the Isaac Losee House dating back to 1750, and the Wiggins-Rolph House.