5. The Waterfront Museum is located in a 1914 barge
The Waterfront Museum in Red Hook is currently operated on a Lehigh Valley Railroad barge that moved goods across the Hudson River. The barge, which dates back to 1914, is often considered the only all-wooden vessel built between 1860 and 1960 still afloat and accessible. Arthur Miller premiered one of his plays called The Hook at the barge, which is located at the foot of Conover Street.
The museum was established in 1985 by David Sharps, who relocated it to the barge in 1994. The museum hosts exhibitions and special events, and it is only open on Saturdays from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. and Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Visits include a look at the Captain’s original living quarters, the tools used by longshoremen, and the gongs and bells of the tug and barge system.