Potsdam is a village of about 9,400 residents in St. Lawrence County, home to SUNY Potsdam and Clarkson University. The village was formerly home to a settlement of St. Regis Native Americans. The village and town take their name from the discovery of reddish sandstone resembling that of Potsdam, Germany. The village quickly developed after the 1816 establishment of SUNY Potsdam, the northernmost member of the SUNY system and one of the oldest colleges in the U.S.
The village sits on the banks of the Raquette River, which can be viewed from multiple sites in the Market Street Historic District. Buildings such as the Clarkson-Knowles Cottage, Nathaniel Parmeter House, and Bayside Cemetery and Gatehouse Complex are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Market Street features diverse businesses and restaurants, many located in historic brick buildings. These include Lee’s Hawaiian Grill, Thai Cuisine, Maxfields, and Foster the Plant Cafe.