11. The Feuchtwanger Stable dates back to 1888
The Feuchtwanger Stable, one of the area’s only sites on the National Register of Historic Places, is a historic building located on Carlton Avenue. The Romanesque Revival was built in 1888 as a public stable near Fulton Street, designed by famed Brooklyn architect Marshall J. Morrill — who also designed the Lafayette Avenue Presbyterian Church. The large triple arches on the ground floor, which have been preserved, were entrances for horses and carriages. with ramps leading to the upper level for horses to stay. The triple arch motif was also kept for the top floor windows.
A significant number of these stables were torn down; only a few remain throughout Brooklyn, including a handful on Washington and Clinton Avenues. With the advent of automobiles, these stables were rendered obsolete, and many were converted into factories. The Feuchtwanger Stable was converted into a candle factory, then a storage warehouse, then an auto repair shop. The building was abandoned for a few years after a 1980s fire, but it was soon after developed into loft condominiums in 1988.